Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Teaching Experience Like No Other!

This evening I was able to teach (and experience) one of the most important moments in my life with my kids.

We were blessed to have an opportunity to volunteer our time to one of the Homeless Shelters in Cheyenne. Our Church sponsors a meal every 2nd Tuesday a month to the shelter. Normally, a few people take some food and serve it to the residents currently staying there. One of my closest friends helps on this committee and brought up that she was serving to the shelter this week. I thought, what a great opportunity for my children to have ~

I was hoping to get a few things out of this:
1. My three kids have everything they need (and more, they are probably even spoiled) ~ They have no idea (Thankfully) what it is like to do without a home, food, clothes, toys, and love. I wanted them to see people who are truly down and out on their luck and deserve love, a helping hand, a warm meal, and smiling face.

2. I also wanted them to feel the power of helping others. There is no greater feeling in the world to truly do something good for someone else out of the kindness of your heart and to know that they appreciate and need it (and to not expect anything in return).

3. I wanted them to see what the real world is like ~ again, Thankfully ~ they have everything they need. I don't think they could ever really pinpoint what "homeless" is and to them it was a word not a "real" thing. Something they might see on T.V. but never "real life".

God was truly with us this evening on our journey ~ All three of the kids were proud to be there. They were on their BEST behavior and made many comments to me throughout the dinner time that they really felt good about what they were doing. I must say that even writing about it now puts a warm feeling in my heart and brings tears to my eyes. I think that Children are very much "Godlike" they love people as they are ~ Even more remarkable was how inviting the homeless were to the kids. I could tell that having Joe, Hailey and Alexis there not only taught the kids a lesson, it helped those unfortunate human beings see that there really is still love in the world ~ it was present right then.

Being a parent is not the easiest job in the world - Probably the hardest most days. This evening was the most proud and rewarding "teaching experience" I have ever had with my three angels.

1 comment:

Jody said...

I think this is Awesome Miss! They will remember this night for the rest of their lives! This goes with my saying "you never know what touches someone elses heart" I am so proud of them!
Love Jody
By the way... nice job story telling even with no pics! :)