Monday, September 8, 2008

One of Those Days!

Do you ever just have "One of Those Days?" I know, that is a stupid question to ask but I had to do it. Today was "One of Those Days" for me and I am even going to Blog about it.

Parenting
Parenting is the toughest job on earth. No bones about it! This morning I wake up "semi" late and get the kids up and moving. They had a long weekend so Monday morning was tough on them too. They eat some breakfast and as I am heading downstairs to take a shower and get ready I tell Alexis "When I get back upstairs you should be ready to go - that means breakfast gone and dishes in the sink, put on your clothes, brush your teeth, brush your hair and put on your shoes!" Those are my exact words, I use them every morning and I be sure and list it out just in case it matters. Well, I get dressed and head upstairs and Alexis is dressed but her hair is a wreck, she hadn't brushed her teeth and her feet were still bare. So, I finally get her together and am ready to leave when Joe tells me that it is too cold to walk to school and by the way "I don't feel well". I tell Joe - "This is nothing compared to how cold it will be later in the year" "Get Moving Joe - Otherwise, you will be late." Now, I am off to work!

Day Care
I am one of those Mother's who feel guilty just dropping the kids off at the door at daycare. Instead of letting Alexis walk in and sign herself in on her own ~ I have to do it. So, I go in, sign her in and look around to tell her bye - she is hugging and saying good morning to the teachers. I am thankful that she likes them all but - I am late! Please, kiss me goodbye first - oh well, she does run to the door so I stop and give her my morning hug and kiss and tell her "Have a good day - go to Gymnastics after school, I will pick you up from there".

Work
That's right - I am LATE. I have a training class this morning at 9am - so technically I am not late by I start my job at 8am and even if class doesn't start at 8 - I have to be there on time. I have this issue about lateness. But, because I have training I need to go to Albertson's to pick up snacks - Donuts, Pretzels, Candy - thankfully the checkout line was free and clear.

Cell Phone
What did we do without cell phones? Yes, I am one of those freaks that goes back home to pick up the cell phone if I happen to leave it. I may as well name it - I take so much care of it!
Well, as I am paying my "snack" bill at Albertson's I get a call from Joseph in TEARS - He is sick and doesn't feel well. I tell him "Joe, go to school and this afternoon if you still feel bad I will take you to the Dr." - oh no, you would have thought I said the worst thing imaginable because the crying, sniffling and coughing got even louder. I break down and tell him. Okay Joe, you will have to stay home by yourself today then - I can't miss work today. I have training. He decides to do this but he CAN'T do this. He has just recently started staying alone by himself for more than an hour and when he does he isn't sick. What am I going to do?

Made it to Work
Well, I successfully made it to work carrying my purse and two grocery bags. Plop them down on my desk and realize.... My baby is sick - Clint can't stay home with him (he was just off work for months becuase of his back surgery and has an important training obligation today too) what am I going to do. Normally, at this point I would have called Omi (Clint's Mom) to see if there was any possible way he could go to her house but she is leaving on a cruise in two weeks and can't get a cold - I can't blame her for that so I knew that option was out. So - I make arrangements with HR and the new hires supervisor - I call Joe and give him the news " I will be home in a few minutes, get dressed, I am taking you to the Dr." Now, normally leaving for the day with training classes to train would be bad but to make it worse ~ I am considering trying to transfer to a different position within the company so I am thinking this absence could really shoot me in the foot. But, all in all, my family comes first.

Dr's Office
You would have thought that the whole city of Cheyenne was in line to see a physician today. The Dr. said - School must be in....all the kids are sick now. I am thinking - "My thoughts exactly" ~ I remember that I couldn't wait for them to be back in school - I must have forgotten the germ thing. Come to find out, Joe has a sinus infection and is now on an antibiotic and cough syrup with codeine to keep him sleeping through the night without coughing his head off.

This Evening
Because of Joe being sick today - he not only missed baseball practice, I didn't take Alexis to soccer practice this evening either. This also wouldn't have been an issue normally but Clint is teaching at the University of Wyoming this fall on Monday evenings so my extra help was not around. Then comes the homework - Joe's friend dropped off his homework from missing today. I thought how nice - little did I know that it would be the breaking point of the day.....Joe cried, and wined and complained about the article that he had to read. After tons of complaining I tell him "Okay, I will read it to you, listen closely so you pick up on what you need to write about". Well, he picked up on it but then the writing became an issue. I should have thrown the towel in at that time but .... once again continued to help. (I believe that I mentioned this before but, parenting is sure a tough job - especially with a sick and sensitive child - that is going through some hormonal "growing up" emotions on top of it all) Let's just say that it almost took 2 hours for this assignment to get completed and I honestly didn't have the heart or the energy to look at the finished product. One thing is for sure - it is finished.

Bed Time
I think that hardest time of the day for me has been and continues to be bed time. It seems like at this time, I am exhausted too - so I am not as fun as I would like to be and am just hoping that they go to bed nicely without every few minutes saying "Mom...." But, being the wonderful fun mother that I am let them sleep on the fold out couch bed downstairs. Alexis keyed in on the "Clint isn't going to be home until late" and usually if he is out of town they can sleep downstairs. Well, she remembered and asked so I decided to let them sleep downstairs tonight but, I should have known better. Alexis decided to be her ornery self and not listen well. The normally hectic bedtime became even worse. I am not even sure if there is a word for it.

Now
As I sit here and type I look at today and think - Wow, I made it though. Behind me I hear Joe sawing logs (due to his stuffy nose) and remember why parenting is the hardest job in the world ~ Becuase you do your best and love them with the deepest of love. Children are blessings and as hard or chaotic that the day becomes with them in it, it is worth every second, and it would be miserable without them. Their sweet faces, funny jokes, laughs thought the day, kisses and hugs at the right and wrong times, and their unconditional love for their parents - no matter how good or bad we are at it - they are still a blessing and love us too.

So, I ask that if you read this far (and made it down to the bottom of my book) one thing you can do is pray for me to continue to have the strength and stamina to work like I do to be a good mother and remember why I am doing it. When I look at these three beautiful children - again, I see it is all worth it. If you wouldn't mind maybe you can pray too that I may still have a chance at this job promotion at work - if it doesn't work out, I need to remember - God has a plan for me. And last but not least thank you for being my friends and family and putting up with me! I am thankful for you and thankful for the wonderful husband that I have too - he too loves me for who I am.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Miss... where to begin? I will start here, you are a great mom, I am very thankful you are my "nephew and nieces" Mom! Also, I am very proud of your blogging! and with no images! (that was to make you smile) last but not least, You deserve a promotion! I think being a "working" mom has so many advantages, today was not one of those days, but in the end will be worth it... At least that is what I tell myself. You all are in my thoughts and prayers! I hope you all have a better day today!

Kathy & Dale Wyoming said...

From someone who knows .... I have had days JUST like that one. It is so hard to juggle being Mom and work full time.

I have already said a prayer for you - for peace and patience of heart and mind.

I also pray for your new adventure at work - and you know that you have my support on that one!!!
Just keep turning to Him... and continue to ask for His blessings and involvement in ALL that you do.

I pray for Joe to feel better - and nobody else in the family to get the yuk!

Hang in there - you are a great Mom and awesome at work.... so don't doubt yourself. We all get tired!!

Hope the rest of your week is quiet, peaceful, restful and healthy!!

:-)